A shredder is an essential tool for many individuals who work in various fields. Vibrant discussions, for example, need the use of shredded paper. But sometimes, even the most powerful shredder isn’t enough to destroy all the documents that need to be destroyed. You can use alternative means instead of or together with a shredder. But they come at different costs and benefits. This article will cover some general ways you can destroy your documents before researching what type of paper shredder is best for you.
Purpose of a Paper Shredder in the Home
Businesses have a higher need for paper shredders in their offices than individuals do in their homes. Yet, there are still valid reasons for having a paper shredder at home. Different individuals will have different reasons for having one. But they are most used for the following purposes:
- Secrecy: The most common reason for having a paper shredder in your home is to keep sensitive documents from prying eyes. Whether you are the president of a company, a politician, or someone who has been ordered to keep their job a secret. You will need a shredder that can be trusted with the information that you need to protect.
- Convenience: This can be important if you want to get rid of something quickly. For example, there might be paperwork that needs to be destroyed before an upcoming trip, but it would take too long if it had to be shredded by hand one by one. Likewise, it might also take too long if you need all your old papers destroyed at once.
- Recycling Items: If you have a shredder, it is easier to recycle items that have been printed on. You can throw them in a bag marked “shredded paper” and leave them outside for your local recycling center to pick up.
Research Factors for Choosing a Home Paper Shredder
Besides, to the purpose that you need a shredder for. You will also need to look into some extra factors, as these can affect your decision. These include:
- Security: As stated above, your shredding needs might need a higher level of security than the average home paper shredder. Some of them come with more advanced features. Such as fingerprint-coded doors or files that needs a passcode before you can open them. If you think this is a good level of security for you, then you must choose one of these models if it is available.
- Size: Paper shredders can be found in various sizes, from being as small as a calculator to being as large as a full-sized office shredder. If you have a lot of documents that need to be shredded regularly, you may want to invest in a larger model. They can hold more paper and save you time if it needs to be done more often.
- Speed: The speed of your paper shredder is critical if you need to destroy vital information. For example, if you were destroying something like your will or birth certificate. It would be best if the speed was as fast as possible so that accidental destruction could not happen.
- Security Features: Some paper shredders come with many security features that allow you to destroy sensitive information without making your home vulnerable to theft or identity theft. If you are worried about this, it is essential to check out the models that have these features to be sure they will not be an issue for you.
- Material: The most common material for home paper shredders is plastic, but some models also use stainless steel. Suppose you are planning on using your paper shredder to destroy important documents. In that case, you must choose one that uses a sturdy material that will not break apart easily. A plastic model can be ideal for people who need their documents shredded quickly.
- Cost: There are many different models of paper shredders available, so you should find one that fits your budget. You don’t necessarily need to buy the most expensive model if you only plan to use it occasionally.
There are, of course, other factors to consider when choosing a paper shredder for your home. These include things like the size of your documents, how often you need to destroy documents, and the amount of privacy required. If you are planning on destroying sensitive information often, it is essential to find a model with the features you need without costing too much money. The same goes if you need an office-style shredder for work purposes. The shredder itself can make this process very easy, but calculating how much money it will cost before buying allows you to make an informed choice.
The Best Paper Shredder for Home Use
There are lots of options available for paper shredders, but some models are better than others. The best paper shredder for home use is the AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder. It comes with a smaller design that allows it to be placed on your desk without taking up too much space. It also comes with a safety feature so that it will not run if there is a jam inside of it. It can help prevent it from overheating or destroying any documents accidentally. It also can shred up to 12 sheets at once.
With this, you will also receive a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty as well as a 12-month guarantee. If you aren’t happy with it, then return it for a full refund. If the machine is damaged during shipping, it will be replaced for you, and they will pay the shipping costs as well. You can also return it for any reason within your first 30 days, and they will give you a full refund. That makes the AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder an excellent option that is very convenient to use.
Whether you are a small business owner or the president of the United States, it is essential to protect your privacy. A shredder can help you do this. You can often use it for personal documents, but businesses also use some models. When choosing one that will help you meet your needs, it can be essential to consider what is most important to you and the available features. By doing this, you can make sure that you are making an informed choice.